The Penny

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

[Sunday, December 6, 2009]

Two Days In

I guess not quite two days since surgery finished... but almost.

I was doing well most of yesterday, but in the evening I got more bloated (common problem after laparoscopic procedures) and was in a lot of pain. Ibuprofen didn't help at all. I hadn't taken oxycodone, because it hadn't helped that morning, when I was in less pain. Why would it help with more pain? I was slowly pacing the apartment, like a mental patient, because walking is supposed to help the bloating go down. It wasn't. Maybe I didn't walk long enough.

The discharge instructions had a list of things to call the hospital for, an example being a fever over 100 degrees. One was increased bloating, and another was severe abdominal pain lasting more than 24 hours. Um, check, check. I walked for a while more and finally called. The doctor on call said to take two oxycodone (so 10 mg) and see how it goes. He said I could go to the ER if I wanted, because it was hard for him to examine me over the phone. Whatever.

Taking two oxycodone did help, and lying down helped a lot with the pain, but not the bloating. I'm just as bloated today, but at least it's not worse. I've been drinking ginger ale, because burping is supposed to help. It hasn't. But I haven't burped all that much. And I have passed no gas. I want to fart! Sorry if that's TMI. ;)

I hate taking oxycodone, because it makes me tired and dizzy. No vertigo, though, and very little nausea, hooray!

Gosh, I still have the rash on my face from whatever they taped on during surgery. I keep putting Aquaphor on, so it doesn't bother me too much. I love Aquaphor. I'm pretty sure I have discussed my Aquaphor addiction before.

Katie had left Friday night to go to deaf happy hour in Washington, DC. She's crazy, because it was at like 11:00 pm or something. I think she got home at 5:00. But, despite the snow, she came back to see me yesterday (Saturday) evening. I put on the new Star Trek blu ray, because Katie hasn't seen it, and Laynie and I hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters. But I was in a lot of pain and wandering around, and Katie was on facebook and not paying attention, so Laynie ended up playing a computer game. I don't know why we didn't just stop the movie.

After I took the medicine and was settling down in bed, Katie and Laynie both came in to hang out with me. Same thing this morning. That was fun, just chatting.

I'm still aspirating. It's so frustrating, because coughing hurts SO MUCH. I think that was definitely contributing to my pain yesterday, because I coughed so much with dinner. When the hospital nurse called to check on me (not the doctor I spoke to about the pain and bloating but the regular next day check), she asked me to call the doctor on call about it. But I don't see the point of doing that on the weekend. I don't know. I might call today and just let them know. Maybe it's getting a little better? I'll wait until after lunch.

Last night we ended up watching an old Ellen comedy special that Katie had recommended. Of course laughing hurt! But it was good.

Gosh, this oxycodone is making my eyes heavy and giving me the creepy crawlies. I don't like it one bit. But I guess it's helping somewhat with the pain.

I want to go for a walk today. As in OUTSIDE. If the sidewalks aren't too icy.

I can't take a shower until Wednesday! Isn't that crazy? And I can't soak in a tub for four weeks, but that makes sense.


Post a Comment