The Penny

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

[Friday, January 21, 2011]

Ski Lesson

This is totally gratuitous (hm, come to think of it, all of my blog posts are.. they're for me, sorry people), but I don't want to forget what I'm supposed to work on. I'll lose a paper note, but I don't think I'll lose a blog post. :)

I am working on keeping my upper body facing downhill and letting my legs move out to the sides.

I am working on keeping my hands up and not dropping my uphill hand on turns. Driving forward with my hands.

I am working on pole plants--light, out to the side and a little forward. Wrist action, not arm action.

I am working on choosing my path on a mogul field.

I am working on pole plants on the tops of the bumps, letting motor memory help me with mogul field turns.

Ugh. It's a lot to remember! I went skiing after work today and took a lesson. Glad I did, because I learned a lot. Holy cow. Usually they give you one thing to work on, but this guy piled it on. That's cool.

Oh, the tray of food exercise helped me with my turns and remembering to face downhill and keep my hands up (tied everything together!). Hold poles together across hands with arms at chest level, don't tip the tray and spill the food.

The shuffle exercise might help with balance. When cutting across the hill, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle the feet.

Weight 60% downhill ski, 40% uphill ski. (Sigh, not happening here.. more like 75/25.)

As always, I'm working on staying forward. Especially on steeps.

Basically, I pick one or things to work on at the same time. There is so much happening so quickly; I know that I have to get the techniques into muscle memory.

0 comments:

Post a Comment