The Penny

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

[Saturday, March 6, 2010]

Skiing

Laynie and I have gone skiing that last two weekends, and I just love it. We've gone up to Whitetail, which is about an hour and a half from here. It's no Deer Valley, but it's local, and beggars can be choosers.

We have taken group lessons both this week and last, and it was great last week, because we were the only two in our group! Happened to be no one at our level. Today there again was no one at our level (advanced beginner, I guess), but this mom and daughter were there, and mom talked up their supposed skills, so they were placed with us. They stunk. Actually, the daughter (maybe 13?) stunk. We went on basically the easiest green run, aside from the bunny hill, and she lost her balance a lot. So Laynie and I learned nothing the first hour. It took an hour to ride the lift and get down that hill, because we stopped a lot. However, the second time down that run, the instructor gave me a couple things I could work on while she worked with the mom/daughter team. She taught me how to plant my poles for turns, so that was fun to work on. She said Laynie could work on what I was doing or on what the mom/daughter were doing. But when Laynie told me she's putting her weight on her heels, I suggested she focus on getting her balance in the right place and using the ball of the foot, especially with the outside ski in a turn.

The instructor said I should go with the level four group (beginning blue) next time and that Laynie is almost ready for that and should stay in the level three group until she can do parallel turns. Obviously that's not possible (splitting us up, not Laynie doing parallel turns :). I'm thinking that next time, Laynie should get a private lesson to improve her technique. I can interpret, I guess. She needs to improve her technique, because she's hurting her ankle with the way she's balancing and turning. Poor Laynie. Group lessons are a gamble, because it seems like the instructors always focus on the worse skiers in the group. Private lessons cost more, but at least you know you'll get some instruction and be able to improve. Having your own skis also helps, and that's something I'm working on.... . . . Because I love skiing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment