The Penny

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

[Wednesday, January 19, 2011]

Zoku

What's a Zoku, you ask? Oh, you are such an unfortunate person.

Zoku is like an ice cream machine bowl, the kind that you put in the freezer overnight and then use in the machine. Except this "bowl" has three slots for making pops. Yes, it's as amazing as it sounds. McConn got one for Christmas, and we were making apple, orange, and grape juice pops while I was in New York.

When I got one myself, we really got to the business of making pops. Fancy ones! There are recipes you can make, such as Bananaberry, and Strawberry Banana, and Orange Creamsicle, which are what we made the first time we tried it out. Soooo good. You throw some fruit in the blender, with either sugar or agave nectar (like sugar but lower glycemic index), along with lemon juice or yogurt or vanilla or whatever. Then pour it in the molds. Well, you do have to strain the seeds out first if you're using berries.


Katie and I love Zoku pops!

Heck, we all do!


Later we made mint pops with chocolate magic shell. I thought they weren't too bad, but Laynie thought they were bitter from the peppermint oil. So I modified the recipe, and it worked out much better. Here is what I made up:

1/2 c half and half
1 c whole milk
3 Tb agave nectar (try the natural/organic area of the supermarket)
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp mint extract
1/4 tsp peppermint
pinch of salt
3 drops of green food coloring

I also added a tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk, but I'm not sure it needed that. It was maybe too creamy, kind of hard to get out of the mold. Next time I'll make it without that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment