The Penny

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

[Saturday, October 24, 2009]

What's in a Name?

I was at Target this morning, and my cashier called out to a nearby cashier to say that her cousin Britain had named her baby KaDymond (sounds like diamond). After seeing the incredulous look on my face, she explained that Britain already had a little boy named KaDante, and she wanted the names to rhyme. To her credit, the cashier was horrified at her cousin's baby-naming habits.

Later, I was at Giant (supermarket), and I saw that a celebrity had named her baby boy Sparrow. The woman behind me spotted the same magazine and picked it up, wondering aloud what that celebrity was thinking. I commented that it was better than a food name, like Apple. She mentioned that another celebrity had named her son Puma. I told her about KaDymond, and she pitied that child. She explained that she is a social worker and see a lot of interesting names. One of her colleagues recently was called in to check out a family with six children, all of whom were named after liquor. Can you imagine? Hennessy! Stop bothering Stoli!

3 comments:

Megan S | October 26, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Oh. My God. KaDante and KaDymond? I hope she's putting away therapy funds now. Those are the most ghetto names I've ever heard.

I think the celeb she's thinking of with "Puma" is Gwen Stefani, who named her second son Zuma (which is arguably worse).

I hope the liquor names include Jack Daniel and Jim Beam. Classy.

Annie | October 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM

And the woman was being investigated for neglecting her children because she was an alcoholic. How smart is she? Her children's very names are evidence.

* | October 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

You would think the parents would put a bit of thought into what kind of names their kids are going to carry around with them for a lifetime.
Eh, I guess not.

Alittle too ghetto for me.

Post a Comment